AbbVie Principal Automation Engineer in North Chicago, Illinois
Principal Automation Engineer
USA, Illinois, North Chicago
1 additional location
The Global Engineering team is tasked with delivering complex projects and consistent solutions across the AbbVie network. The Global Automation Principal Engineer will be part of the Global Automation team reporting into the Global Automation Leader. The Global Automation team is responsible for developing standard solutions and providing reliable, safe, and consistent Automated Control System (ACS) solutions within the Manufacturing and Engineering Services (MES) organization.
As discipline expert, the Global Automation Principal Engineer drives functional performance by developing innovative solutions that support growth and provide reliable, safe and efficient operations of AbbVie’s Automated Control System assets. The Global Automation Principal Engineer will be responsible for designing and implementing technical solutions to help drive consistency and compliance and will work closely with Global Engineering and site-based automation groups to identify optimal automation solutions, support project implementation and ensure appropriate metrics and control mechanisms are in place to achieve sustainable growth.
The Global Engineering Principal Engineer will be a self-motivated engineering professional who works with little or no supervision and supports an inclusive performance-based culture.
• Engages and collaborate with Global Engineering and Sites automation teams to lead and facilitate automation projects with a specific focus on solutions that are implemented in a consistent manner and support performance improvements, sustainable growth and enhance safety and compliance.
• Acts as Automation representative on Global Engineering projects and provides the necessary skills and experience to ensure the Automation solution aligns with the overall aims and objective of Global Automation.
• Participates in and leads Automation Community of Practice (aCOP) initiatives to develop Automation standards, best practices and set performance expectations.
• Establishes themselves within the AbbVie MES community as an Automation Subject Matter Expert (SME) and technical leader and provides Automation support and expertise to the sites.
• Ensures Automation projects comply with applicable corporate policies and procedures and business KPI’s including but not limited to schedules, budgets and quality requirements.
• Provides support to site Automation teams to address technical queries and help drive consistent practices and support roll out of standard solutions.
• Participates on cross functional teams as the Automation SME.
• Provides training and helps develop technical skills.
A Bachelors Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 8-10+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience.
Experience in the pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical sector
Extensive experience with Automated Controls Systems including DCS, PLC’s, SCADA, Historian, Batch Control, S95, S88, etc.
Knowledge of Cyber Security and Data Integrity
Good understanding of instrumentation
Excellent communication skills
AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Significant Work Activities and Conditions: Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday), Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced