AbbVie Senior Scientist III Engineering in Lake County, Illinois
Senior Scientist III Engineering
USA, Illinois, Lake County
Research & Development
Key Responsibilities Include:
· Strategic leader on one or more synthetic API isolation and final purification steps including but not limited to: crystallization, polymorph control, drying, and particle size distribution control. Influences the approach to unit operation design and commercial control strategy implementation.
· Leads technology transfer of small molecule chemical process from lab and pilot scale to production manufacturing facility.
· Influences the development of control strategy to ensure commercial process robustness and product quality at one or more sites globally.
· Has developed a strong understanding of commercial manufacturing facility equipment such as reactors, centrifuges, filters dryers and auxiliary piping and utilities.
· Conceptualizes and implements novel approaches using combinations of engineering and scientific principles.
· Utilizes knowledge of engineering, literature, and experience to guide decisions for complex situations
· Must have an in-depth understanding of the cause/effect relationship to use for improvements to multiple processes and products.
· Independently designs and coordinates experiments to test hypotheses related to project outcomes; extracts the full relevance of scientific observations.
· Applies extensive, advanced scientific knowledge to multidisciplinary projects.
· Assures experimental quality through sound experimental design and provides advice on experimental design. Successfully designs and executes major studies.
· Implements new technical alternatives for research from literature review, industry knowledge, and development experience.
· Familiar with lab environment and safety practices; assumes higher roles of responsibility in department or division (e.g., Dept./Div. Representative).
· Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce technical reports and regulatory filings.
· Anticipates, recognizes, and resolves problems. Shows understanding of the issues relevant to the broad organization and business.
· Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
· Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences.
· Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program.
· Seize opportunities to pursue project relevant leads that are in line with the group’s strategy.
· Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
· Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
BS in Chemical Engineering or related field with minimum 12 years of experience
MS in Chemical Engineering or related field with minimum 10 years of experience
PhD in Chemical Engineering or related field with minimum 5 years of experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled