AbbVie Medical Director in Seoul, South Korea
Lead affiliate medical affairs staff and activities. Set and execute Medical Affairs strategies for the affiliate medical department. Ensure the affiliate medical team contributes valuable strategic input to global medical Affairs (GMA) Therapeutic Area strategic medical affairs plans. Ensure adherence to applicable company standards, policies and procedures. Instill, and operate within, a culture of ethical and compliant behavior. Ensure local medical staffing levels are appropriate to meet business requirements. Plan, manage and be accountable for the affiliate medical department budget. Provide strategic medical affairs support to cross functional affiliate teams. Provide leadership, strategic direction and mentorship to direct reports, and fulfill line management responsibilities accordingly. Ensure that the medical department is fully integrated to support the strategy and execution of affiliate business, while being functionally independent.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide leadership, line management and development of the affiliate's medical staff. Ensure appropriate affiliate resourcing, skills and capabilities are in place to support affiliate, regional and global medical affairs activities, global research and development activities, and business support. Ensure clarity of roles, responsibilities & accountabilities for the affiliate medical staff.
- Responsible for recruiting retaining, and mentoring high potential employees. In conjunction with Global Medical Affairs (GMA) head and local HR ensure that talent management and succession planning activities are undertaken.
- Plan, manage budget and headcount resources for the affiliate medical department, in full collaboration and transparency with the affiliate commercial/finance and HR teams, and in consultation with Global Medical Affairs head to ensure alignment with region and global strategic plans. Provides strategic input to the affiliate's commercial plans.
- Development of local clinical research plans. Conduct of local research activities in a scientific, efficient and compliant way, with due regard to applicable policies, processes and procedures and national regulations, and alignment with areas of strategic research interest for relevant products/therapeutic areas.
- Ensure that an effective Pharmacovigilance system operates within the affiliate, and that reporting requirements to competent authorities for adverse events and other safety related documents are adhered to. Proactively anticipate possible safety signals and communicate appropriately according to standard procedures.
- Provide medical support for, and help develop and maintain professional and credible relationships with external experts and academic centers. Identify appropriately qualified external local experts who would wish to engage in collaborative efforts- such as potential research collaborations- with AbbVie; ensure a high level of scientific integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Be a strategic collaborator in, and contributor to, the affiliate Future Fit and Brand Teams, and ensure medical alignment with local objectives where possible.
- Act as the primary contact for medical governance requirements within the affiliate. Be accountable for understanding compliance requirements, risk identification and assessment, mitigation planning as well as implementation and monitoring of appropriate internal controls.
- Serve as the company's key medical spokesperson and primary medical representative with governmental agencies, professional associations, special interest groups and the healthcare community at large.
- Ensure adherence to applicable company standards, policies and procedures among affiliate medical staff. Ensure compliance with all training requirements for staff.
- Hold overall accountability for the management of the medical department, which includes medical science liaisons management, pharmacovigilance and clinical trials within the Affiliate.
- Act as a pharmacovigilance back-up for the Affiliate Safety Representative. (Refer to attachment)
- PR Licensed M.D.; strong background in clinical practice, with not less than five (5) years post graduate clinical practice. Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively across departments with corporate and regulatory agencies. Good interpersonal skills and tact.
- Management experience of medical teams & significant numbers of medical/scientific staff for 5 years (minimum) is expected. Total combined years of experience: 10 years.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a medical/scientific organization of a size similar to that in the affiliate.
- A broad and demonstrated understanding of drug development and commercialization processes, overseeing or conducting clinical trials, a solid understanding of trial design and methodology and an understanding of the need to balance safety and efficacy concerns.
- He/she must have a reputation for leading with high integrity, strong work ethics and compliant behavior. Must understand and be able to plan. Manage and execute budgets effectively Collaborative, team oriented approach, and will be adept at developing and supporting relationships across and organization as well as with key external stakeholders and the healthcare community at large. Experiences being an active contribute to cross functional teams and/or working in matrix organizations will be essential. He/she will possess strong communication and presentation skills. Works independently; limited guidance/oversight. Works broadly across functions to facilitate and support the affiliate's medical and clinical activities as necessary.
- Must possess the ability to lead with confidence; a motivator of people he/she should have the ability to impart the vision and strategy of the company and of the de department to others.
- Sound judgment, strong planning and organizational skills, and the ability to get things done. Demonstrated strong sense of urgency.
- Strong leadership, communication, networking, negotiation and presentation skills. Excellent written and spoken communications skills.
- Fluency in written and oral English is highly desirable in order to facilitate communications between the affiliate medical department, Regional and International Medical Affairs and other AbbVie functional staff.
- Knowledge of Food and Drug Administration/Drug Enforcement Agency (FDA/DEA) and local regulations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively across departments with corporate and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to work with multiple priorities in a work environment with frequent interruptions.
Job Classification: Experienced
Primary Location: South Korea-Seoul-Seoul
Organization: Research & Development
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Req ID: 1705208