AbbVie Manager, Medical Science Liaison in Rungis, France
The MSL Manager role has responsibility for and line management of the team of MSLs in Immunology Gastroenterology /Dermatology area
Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) are key members of the affiliate medical department. These field-based roles focus on medical and scientific engagement with healthcare professionals.
The focus of this role is on interacting with, and supporting the needs of external experts. They work to communicate information, in a strictly scientific, non-promotional manner, and in full compliance with French laws and regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, AbbVie’s policies and procedures and accepted standards of best practice.
The MSL serves to advance the scientific credibility of the Company with established and emerging National and Regional external experts, by supporting scientific dialogue and collaborations in the areas of research, medical and scientific exchange,including facilitation of requests for scientific and medical information. MSLs also participate in the initiation, oversight and follow-up of clinical studies and medical projects initiated within the Medical Department, ensuring that activities are carried out in accordance with relevant processes and procedures. They also interface with other key members ofthe affiliate medical department - for example: Medical Managers, Medical Advisers, Clinical Research Managers and functions such as Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Market Access and others as appropriate - relevant to the therapeutic area for which the MSL has responsibility. They maintain a high level of scientific knowledge to ensure credible dissemination of scientific information and informed scientific dialogue with external experts and healthcare professionals..
- Supervise and manage team and ensure MSLs are appropriately aligned to the brand and medical strategy and plans
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all French, and global laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, Company policies and accepted standards of best practice.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership to ensure professional and credible relationships with thought leaders and external experts of strategic importance to Abbvie.
- Ensure a strong medical and scientific presence for Abbvie in key academic centers by facilitation of research and educational initiatives, while supporting requests for medical and scientific information on products or areas of therapeutic interest to Abbvie.
- Assist in the initiation, oversight and follow up of assigned clinical studies and medical projects initiated within the therapeutic area for which the MSL carries responsibility (e.g. post marketing clinical activities such as registry/database projects, epidemiological surveys, post-authorization studies (phase IV). All such activities must comply with applicable local laws, guidelines, Codes of Practice, SOPs, and AbbVie R&D (GPRD) SOPs.
- Act as the point of contact with thought leaders to facilitate investigator initiated study (IIS) ideas and requests for support to the local and global medical teams as appropriate.
- Serve as a point of contact within the Medical Affairs team for thought leaders and external experts within an assigned geographic area in order to satisfy their needs for scientific knowledge in a therapeutic area and, when requested, relevant AbbVie medicines, to support their safe, effective and appropriate use.
- Deliver credible presentations on scientific matters to physicians, individually or in groups (meetings, clinical sessions, etc.), where requested.
- Participate in the selection process to identify appropriately qualified thought leaders the Company would wish to engage in collaborative efforts – such as potential research collaborations, or educational and advisory roles (Advisory Boards, Congresses, Symposia, etc.); while ensuring a high level of scientific or educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Facilitate medical and scientific field intelligence for example, competitor research and medical strategies, educational activities.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings and Conferences. Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop summaries of key data and other scientifically relevant information to inform AbbVie strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Support internal teams such as sales and marketing to develop their scientific and technical expertise through the delivery of scientific update presentations.
- Actively contribute to the development of the annual national Medical Plan.
- Ensure the development of regional medical plans aligned with the national plan objectives.
_LINE MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTABILITY_
Conduct regular field visits and 1-1s with direct reports, using an appropriate combination of direction, support, coaching and challenging to enable direct reports fulfil their role requirements, achieve their goals and continually develop.
_ACCOUNTABILITY & SCOPE: _
- Provide scientific and technical input to local AbbVie teams and external thought leaders using information that has been reviewed and approved by relevant local procedures, and under the direction, governance and oversight of the MSL’s manager, therapeutic area Medical Manager, or Affiliate Medical Director as appropriate. This includes working with local Medical Information teams, as appropriate, to respond to unsolicited requests for off-label information on AbbVie medicines.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable national laws and regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, AbbVie standards, policies and procedures.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with thought leaders in the product /therapeutic area for which the MSL has been assigned responsibility, to facilitate Abbvie research and educational priorities and strategic initiatives.
_ INTERNAL / EXTERNAL CONTACTS AND INTERACTIONS:_
Affiliate medical personnel: Medical Managers/Advisers; Medical Information team / specialists; affiliate pharmacovigilance / drug safetypersonnel; Clinical Research Manager, Clinical Operations Manager
Marketing and Sales of assigned Gastro/DErm Immunology area; Market access teams;
Affiliate Government Affairs; Affiliate Public Affairs; Regulatory Affairs; Legal; OEC.
Library Information Resources.
Healthcare personnel (including physicians, nurses, pharmacists).
Participating Research Investigators; thought leaders/external experts.
Institutions and Scientific or Medical Societies.
Hospitals, other healthcare providers, payers and Local Regulatory Authorities.
- Advanced degree (e.g. PharmD., MD)
- Experience in line MSL Management
- Experience in developing and maintaining expert knowledge
- Knowledge in Immunology (Gastro/Derm) is desirable
- Solid knowledge of the pharmaceutical environment and the role of Medical Affairs to advance the medical and scientific objectives of a pharmaceutical company.
- Demonstrated expertise in the scientific methods applied to clinical research and current legislative/regulatory controls applicable to this research.
- Ability to comprehensively learn about new subject areas and environments.
- Excellent written and spoken communication and presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong collaborative relationships with experts, and healthcare professionnals.
- A good understanding of written and oral English.
- High customer orientation.
- Strong commitment to compliance with the relevant rules and procedures, and to scientific quality and integrity
- Ability to work independently in the field, showing a high level of motivation and the self-confidence to be the prime medical face of the organization in a given locality and disease area
- Ability to negotiate contracts with individual program participants and with organisations involved in working with AbbVie on clinical and scientific programs and clinical education activities to reach mutually satisfactory arrangements
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously at different locations, showing strong time management and task prioritisation skills
Job Classification: Experienced
Primary Location: France-Île-de-France-Rungis
Organization: Research & Development
Req ID: 1703009