AbbVie Senior Pipefitter in Lake County, Illinois
This primary function is to provide 24 hour, 7 day a week "skilled trade" maintenance support to the manufacturing, research and development laboratories, warehouses, and office facilities that make up North Chicago and its associated owned and leased Lake County facilities. Maintenance department services include that of manufacturing equipment repair, electrical power equipment and distribution system upkeep, equipment and facilities preventive and predictive maintenance, refrigeration and HVAC system maintenance, lubrication services, environmental testing, pipe fitting, mechanical, general building maintenance, and welding services.
Errors in judgment or failure to follow specific safety rules and procedures could result in serious injury to the tradesperson and others and/or cause significant equipment or property damage and/or loss of product. Accidentally energizing mechanical and/or electrical systems or equipment could have life or death implications. On an independent basis the individual must be able to evaluate the use of various resources and make knowledgeable decisions in regard to safety and company standards and policies.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Maintain, repair, overhaul, inspect, lubricate, and trouble shoot a wide variety of mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment located throughout AbbVie Lake County sites.
- Troubleshoot emergency breakdowns, making repairs in a timely and professional manner to maintain facilities, production/lab schedule.
- Communicate with customers to obtain description of problems, evaluate extent of damage or malfunctions, make material and labor cost estimates, discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- The Sr. Pipe Fitter will work as a multi-skill tradesperson, doing electrical, mechanical, pipefitting, building maintenance and/or other work on special assignments as requested by the supervisor. Candidate may be required to provide training and hands on work instruction for less experienced pipe fitters.
- Assist in ensuring that GMP and safe work policies and procedures are followed and maintained at all times in accordance with established company policies.
- Test, inspect, replace piping and pressure relief devices on production and facility equipment
- Perform building walk-throughs to identify needed repairs and follow up with corrective action.
- Have good operating knowledge of an array of steam traps, steam coils, water heaters, heat exchangers, condensate pumps and pressure reducing valves and how they operate.
- Be able to read and layout own work off blueprints and drawings.
- Cut metals to prescribed dimensions.
- Be able to perform minor design and fabrication of piping systems on various plant equipment.
- Be able to solder / sweat copper piping.
- Ability to perform welding operations associated with the installation and repair of all types of equipment and buildings is desirable.
- Must possess a minimum of 5 years of increasing job knowledge and responsibility in field of pipe fitting.
- This experience must indicate proficiency in all aspects of pipe fitting construction and maintenance work including the demonstrated ability to work well with others in a commercial and/or industrial work environment.
- The incumbent must have experience indicating expertise in the use of all pipe fitting hand tools, measuring devices, power tools including drills, hammer drills, sawzalls, etc.
- Must be proficient in the operation of shop equipment including saws, presses, grinders, pipe threaders, hydraulic presses, and torches to perform all aspects of pipefitting as well as some mechanical maintenance.
Current Illinois Plumbers License with Backflow is desirable
Must have a high school education or equivalent.
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Ability to obtain a forklift license.
Monday – Friday 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM
Job Classification: Experienced
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Lake County
Req ID: 1701914
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled